Sunday, June 16, 2013

REVISITING A CHARMING TOWN



Returning to a place for a visit after having been away for a certain time is always a pleasure for me. It happened recently when I was in Chaves, an old town that is way up in the very north of Portugal right by the Spanish border. The town was  settled by the Roman emperor Flavio Vespasiano, in the year 78 AD. Acquae Flaviae was  its original name, owing to the superb thermal springs that the Romans found in its surrounding area.
Chaves is by a river that gives it a special charm with the shimmering green of the sidewalk gardens. It's not unusual at all, to see local fishermen enjoying the beauty of the river as they try to get a good catch. I love the colour of the river ... it's so peaceful!

Interesting contrast between the two pedestrian bridges that span over the river:

The Roman Bridge



and...

the contemporary bridge




The traditional housing, mainly with four levels, has big windows and balconies as one can see at the main square, where the archaeological findings are still in place, following the first stage of works for an underground parking. Once, a Roman thermal complex existed there.







After wandering around the town, my legs asked me to have rest for a while. 


At that time of the day, my stomach would never welcome the local specialities: smoked ham, puff pastry with minced meat filling or the special bread-like filled with cubes of pork and sausage.




I know well that some day in the future, I'll drive up again to this old town, where in the quietness I can have a break from the hustle and bustle of Lisbon.

~~ Thank you! ~~

5 comments:

  1. Gosto de Chaves, apesar de já não ir lá há uns tempos. Então não teve estômago para se deliciar com as especialidades locais? Que pena! Óptimas fotografias, tal e qual como já nos habituou.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diciei-me com os pasteis de chaves, com a posta. com o presunto e com o vinho de Montes Ermos que e´de Freixo de Espada à Cinta....normalmente não ligo a comida cozinhada. Gosto de fruta!!!!

      Delete
  2. I wish I had gone to Chaves instead of the driving to Amarante. Leonor, I really love all the photos. Of course, I have a favourite one... the first one below the contemporary bridge... the colours of the façades, the two human elements and the sunlight on those steps down to the river, make it a very beautiful photo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The steps into the river reminds me the indian "gats".... One can step down and take a purifying bath in the Tamega ( as indians do in the Ganges)

      Delete
  3. So beautiful your reflections captures.

    Maybe next time I go to Spain, I will take a trip to north Portugal, and visit this charming town.

    Have a nice day. :)

    ReplyDelete