Monday, April 29, 2013

A DIFFERENT SATURDAY MORNING

Last Saturday, the weather was fine and, in the morning, I decided to go together with some friends to a retail nursery to get some more plants for my kitchen garden. The retail nursery is not far from my cottage and it supplies many small farms in the vicinities of Lisbon. 



I was surprised when upon reaching that place, I saw people queuing up to buy tomatoes, melons, parsley, coriander, mint, etc. As I looked at them, I thought ‘Ah, they are like me, they have a kitchen garden and want to grow their favourite vegetables and herbs'. These are pretty to look at, bursting with flavour, and far fresher than those pricy little packets at the store, either they are or not apparently fresh.

















While queuing up, what a surprise! Other friends showed up... an unscheduled get-together at the fields, LOL! After doing our shopping we all moved to a tea-house nearby, where we chatted, had coffee and indulged ourselves with slices of yummy cakes.




On the way back my cottage I thought how things had changed since the days when farmers were the only clients of that retail nursery. Nowadays, the number of clients has expanded as more and more people have embraced such a ‘profitable’ hobby. Is it the real sustainability???

Spring is here in full swing for the sake of our gardens. I hope when temperatures climb up, undesirable visitors like ravenous blister beetles don't find my garden very inviting to the point of invading it.


~~ Thanks for stopping by ~~

3 comments:

  1. It must have been a very pleasurable morning. The vegetables look so green... the cake assortment would be a temptation to my palate... Great shots, Leonor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy looking at those spring colors in your photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sophie. Ive always loved colours even to dress myself!

    ReplyDelete