Monday, October 14, 2013

WINTER WONDERLAND


Plitvice Lakes National Park is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is the oldest & most beautiful national park in all of Croatia! The Plitvice Lakes contain 16 inter-locking lakes, surrounded by lush forests and is considered one of the most beautiful, natural sights in all of Europe. 
You may be wondering about the origin of such inter-locking lakes. Well, the waters flowing over the limestone and chalk have, over thousands of years, deposited travertine barriers, creating natural dams which in turn have created a series of beautiful lakes, caves and waterfalls. These geological processes continue today.
I was over there in the early days of winter when the Lakes didn't even looked like filled with water but with a fine mist super-imposed on a fairy tale backdrop.
Look at the waterfall below. Don't you find it ethereal?


The Plitvice Lakes are apparently one of the cleanest and most pristine lakes in the world. There are a lot of preservation efforts to ensure that the Lakes remain clean and that the “blue” of the lakes doesn’t fade away. For instance, swimming in the lakes is strictly prohibited.

I took many many photos but I regretted it later when I had to sort through all those photos. I felt like I couldn't do the breathtaking views of the Lakes enough justice. It was really quite stunning.

The vegetation, the rocky cliffs, the lakes along with stunning waterfalls, all blend into one seamless green-blue extravaganza that it's impossible to get tired of the beauty. 

The forests in the Park are home to bears, wolves and many rare bird species. I would have liked to have been greeted, even at a distance, by any of them but I saw none but these pretty flowers that made me pick up my camera and take a shot.

There are several scenic nearby hotels and lodging right next to the Park itself. I stayed the overnight in one of these and, though apparently they might look not very inviting when seen from outside, the ambiance was really cozy, inside.

The sun hadn't shine while it was snowing, so there was snow the next day.

Please believe me, it's definitely a must-see!

Thank you!

2 comments:

  1. This could be the introduction to a novel.... I want to see and read more and more....
    Awesome shots, as always.... very good the photo of you with the light on your hair.... I like it very much...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the nice comment. The landscape was indeed dazzling!

    ReplyDelete